St. Christopher Church
St. Christopher Church is located on Main Road in Stone Bridge. St. Thesesa Church in North Tiverton is in the same Roman Catholic parish.
St. Christopher Church originated in 1894 when Catholics migrated from Fall River and nearby to Tiverton to stay in their summer residences. At this time, there were only a small number of Catholics in the Tiverton and South Tiverton area. Reverend M.E. Cook began reading masses at Town Hall that summer, and Saint Peter's by the Sea was built on Highland Road the following year by the summer visitors. It served as a mission under the Holy Ghost Fathers parish.
In 1910, a new church was built and dedicated at the current location. St. Peter's by the Sea closed down once mass were determined to be held all year, and it did not possess adequate heating.
Reverend Peter J. Andrews has been serving as the first diocesan pastor of the parish since 2003.
Masses are held at St. Christopher Church on Saturdays at 5:30 p.m. and Sundays at 9:30 a.m.
In light of the two parishes celebrating anniversaries, events are being held through March 2011 at various dates that can be found on its website, as well as youth programs, announcements and outreach opportunities.
- Fax: 401-624-9889
- Hours: Mass: Sat, 5:30pm; Sun, 9:30am
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Parking: Free lot
- Denomination: Catholic
- Services: Choir/music programs, Youth programs