Ft. Barton Revolutionary War Redoubt and Woods
Drag box to select area
Located in a hilly and wooded area off Highland Road, which is now the Stone Bridge neighborhood, Fort Barton was the fortified stronghold of the colonials in 1777 to defend against the British troops during the Revolutionary War. From here came the ill-fated Battle of Rhode Island in 1778. Fort Barton was given to Tiverton by the Newport Historical Society in 1968, all thanks to the relentless preservation efforts of Dr. James Holt Jr. The Redoubt was dedicated in 2001. The site also provides scenic views of Portsmouth and Middletown as well as hiking trails. There is also a historical cemetery on site.
Lawton Ave & Highland Rd, Tiverton, RI 02878