Weather: There is a chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 3 p.m. today. It will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 71. Expect a breezy day with gusts reaching up to 30 mph. The possibility of wind and rains will last through the night, according to the National Weather Service.
1. Join the fight against tolls. Tiverton STOP, a citizens' group fighting against tolls on the Sakonnet River Bridge will hold is launch meeting tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. at the town hall. Local organizers are challending Tiverton residents to start start a grassroots approach to protecting local commuters against the tolls.
2. Running for office in Tiverton or Little Compton? Use Patch to help reach out to your constituents. Complete the Tiverton-Little Compton candidate questionnaire by clicking here.
3. Get moving again. Karen Moore Holliday, M.A., has a background in teaching, training & counseling. Karen holds degrees in Human Services, Human Resource Management & Transpersonal Studies. She is also a Certified Yoga & Meditation Teacher, Yoga Therapist & Spiritual Mentor. Through ageless, gentl Kripalu Yoga designed for people in their middle years, She will work with your skll level and your body to gently get you moving again.
Classes cost $5 and begin at 9 a.m. at the Little Compton Wellness Center, 115 East Main Road.
4. Participate in the 2012 election! Residents have until Oct. 7 to register to vote in the presidential election that will take place in November. Click here to make sure you have everything you need to get around Rhode Island's new voter ID laws.
5. For the first time in US history on this day in 1960, a debate between major party presidential candidates is shown on television. The presidential hopefuls, John F. Kennedy, a Democratic senator of Massachusetts, and Richard M. Nixon, the vice president of the United States, met in aChicago studio to discuss U.S. domestic matters.