Weather: Today will bring a chance of showers that will last through the evening, according to the National Weather Service.
1. Tiverton and Little Compton town government are holding several meetings today:
- The Tiverton Conservation Commission will meet today at 7 p.m. at the community center, 346 Judson Ave.
- The Little Compton Prevention Coalition will meet tonight at 7 p.m.
- The Little Compton Harbor Commission will meet tonight at 7 p.m.
2. Pick up the kettle bell today at the ABC Studio at Four Corners Fitness. Classes start at 6 p.m. and cost $15.
3. There is Kripalu Gentle Yoga today at the Little Compton Wellness Center, 115 East Main Road. Class starts at 9 a.m. and costs $5.
4. Tiverton After School Arts (TASA) is an after school arts enrichment program available to all Tiverton children and young adults. All classes are taught by professional artists and cover all aspects of the arts.
Classes are held in each of the elementary schools, the middle school and the high school, meet once a week for 1 and a half hours in 6-week sessions. Registration is open now for the FALL SESSION which begins Oct. 9th. Classes cost $50 and includes all fees and materials. Limited scholarships are also available. For more information-please email Gloria Crist:firstname.lastname@example.org
5. On this day in 1985, the hijacking of the Italian cruise ship Achille Lauro reaches a dramatic climax when U.S. Navy F-14 fighters intercept an Egyptian airliner attempting to fly the Palestinian hijackers to freedom and force the jet to land at a NATO base in Sigonella, Sicily. American and Italian troops surrounded the plane, and the terrorists were taken into Italian custody, according to History.com.