Today's Weather: Overnight showers and thunderstorms will subside to scattered showers. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. It will stay mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 68, according to the National Weather Service.
1. Become a Goosewing Beach Field Scientist and discover exciting critters, natural mysteries, and more. Children ages 9 - 12 will investigate wildlife and ecology using real scientific tools and methods. The Explorers Program at Goosewing Beach Preserve is one of the camp's most popular programs. The event is free and explorers should be geared and ready to go at the Environmental Center, located at 140 South Shore Road in Little Compton by 9:30 a.m. Registration by email or phone is highly recommended.
3. Dance the night away, or just take in the sights and sounds and listen to some great live music at the Sandywoods Center for the Arts monthly contra dance. All of these folk-style line dances are taught by an experienced caller and beginners will receive a warm welcome. This affordable event is a great way to get the family together.
2. Sore, achy or just plain worn out? A Board Certified Reflexologist will be on hand at the on Main Road to help alleviate headaches, reduce arthritic and back pain, give support during addiction withdrawal, ease premenstrual discomforts and reduce the symptoms of diabetes among other things. For $60 patients can see first-hand the benefits of reflexology.
4. The Senior Community Luncheon takes place today at the , 34 Commons Way, from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.
5. As our community and the nation gear up for election season this fall, July 18 marks a particularly historic day in the history of candidacy in the United States.
On this day in 1940, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who first took office in 1933 as America's 32nd president, was nominated for an unprecedented third term. Roosevelt, a Democrat, would eventually be elected to a record four terms in office, the only U.S. president to serve more than two terms.