Today's Weather: Another sunny day with highs of 81. Temperatures will be dropping to 68 at night as patchy fog rolls in according to the National Weather Service.
1. will take place this morning at 10 a.m. on Quicksand Beach. The event is free, but beware the parking costs at nearby lots.
2. will be meeting today at 10:30 a.m. at the library on 238 Highland Road. The focus on the group is informal book reviews. Drop-ins welcome.
3. Another literary event tomorrow will be part of Tiverton's youth "Dream Big" K-5 reading program. At 10:30 a.m. on 28 Fish Road.
4. There will be a tonight at 7 p.m. at the United Congregational Church featuring Sarah Lee Guthrie, grandaughter of the late folk-legend Woody Guthrie.
5. Today in History: Today is Friday the 13th. The superstitution that today is bad luck was first noted in literature in an 1869 biography of Gioachino Rossini who passed away on the taboo date. There are several theories why the 13th is considered unlucky which surround numerology and the stock market crash. In Spain, Tuesday the 13th is the unlucky day. It appears, the superstition is just that; based on pieced-together reports of bad luck with no actual evidence that today is more or less signifigant than any other.