Weather: The rains clear today and it will be partly sunny all day with patchy fog rolling in during the evening, according to the National Weather Service.
1. District 1 Congressional candidate Brendan Doherty will hold a news conference today discussing his opposition to the Sakonnet River Bridge toll at 9:30 at the corner of Riverview and Central avenues.
2. It's Summer Music Night Thursday at Sakonnet Vineyards. The Elderly Brothers play to night on the lawn. Carloads cost $10 and patrons are encouraged to bring blankets and chairs.
3. The Greater Tiverton Community Chorus is an un-auditioned
choral group that welcomes singers from communities throughout southeastern
Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Rehearsals for the winter season will begin on September 6, 2012 at the
Amicable Church, 3804 Main Road, Tiverton, RI, from 7:00pm -9:30pm, and will
continue weekly through the year’s Christmas Concert performances on December
7-9, 2012 entitled, “Celtic Christmas.” All are welcome to open rehearsals on
September 6, 13, and 20.
4. A new class that combines vocal exercises with breath and body awareness exercises from yoga and chi kung (taoist yoga) called Chi Song Yoga. Deepen your breath, improve your posture, release tension, be present in the moment & free your voice. You’ll improve your sound quality, vocal range, cultivate power from within, and become a more relaxed and confident singer.
Classes cost $12 and start at 6:30 p.m. at , 1759 Main Rd, Tiverton.
5. On this day in 1901, President William McKinley is shot at the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York. McKinley was greeting the crowd in the Temple of Music when Leon Czolgosz, an anarchist, stepped forward and shot the president twice at point-blank range. McKinley lived for another week before finally succumbing to a gangrene infection on September 14.