Thursday: Get Your Flu Shots, Town Council and Theater
Five things to know on Thursday, Oct. 18 in Tiverton and Little Compton.
Weather: Thursday will be sunny with highs near 62 degrees. Watch out, however, for possible rains overnight, according to the National Weather Service.
1. The flu ends with you! The seasonal flu clinic is today at the Little Compton Wellness Center from 4-6:30 p.m.
Shots cost $20 or are free for those with the following health care providers: Blue Cross Blue Shield, Medicare Part B, UnitedHealthcare, NeighborhoodHealth, Tufts, or Cigna. You must have insurance card with you.
2. The Little Compton Town Council will meet tonight at 7 p.m. at the Town Hall, 40 Commons.
3. Newport Children's Theatre is holding open auditions for its winter production of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", directed by Linda J Vars.
Auditions will be held at 6 p.m. today at the Newport Congregational Church, 73 Pelham St., Newport. A second audtion is on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Young actors ages 8 and up are invited to audition. Actors must be available for all four performances - on Jan. 11, 12 and 13, 2013. There is no cost to audition, but chosen performers pay a $100 production fee. Financial assistance is available to qualifying candidates.
4. Have fun with fitness today, Zumba! Get a great cardio workout while dancing to easy to follow Latin dance steps and upbeat rhythms. No experience necessary! You'll have so much fun, you'll forget you're exercising!
Classes at Countryview Estate, 213 Hurst Lane, Tiverton, begin at 6:30 p.m. and cost $5.
5. On this day in 1867, the U.S. formally takes possession of Alaska after purchasing the territory from Russia for $7.2 million, or less than two cents an acre. The Alaska purchase comprised 586,412 square miles, about twice the size of Texas, and was championed by William Henry Seward, the enthusiasticly expansionist secretary of state under President Andrew Johnson, according to History.com.