On The Eve Of The Tiverton Financial Town Referendum...
After hearing of a weekend ramp up of Budget #1 and Budget #2 supporters, we took to Facebook to ask what's going on.
The landscape of town changed rapidly over the weekend, with campaign signs appearing on various lawns and properties pushing Budget #1 and others pushing Budget #2. The financial town hearing was May 1, and the town's first financial town referendum (FTR) is Tuesday, May 15.
Town Administrator Jim Goncalo said late Monday afternoon that Code Enforcement Officer Gareth Eames received about three complaints of political signs being placed illegally on properties. When asked about illegally-placed Tiverton budget campaign signs on state property, a representative from the Rhode Island Department of Transportation said they would know more by Tuesday.
On our Facebook page Monday, we asked residents if they've received campaign literature and/or phone calls saying how to vote in the FTR, as well as if they're seeing budget signs appearing on properties and if they're outside campaigning. Here's the responses we received.
- Kelly Anne Levesque I just got a robocall!!
- Dan Donovan illegal sign on state land on the RT24 north onramp off Main rd - for Budget #2
- Carla Champlain I've received mailings for #2
- Carla Champlain Signs for #2 on empty lot on Canonicus.
- Ron Potvin Signs for budget 2 all over the state on ramps and off ramps for route 24, some only 20 or 30 feet apart.
- Kelly Anne Levesque I just received my second McDonald's colored postcard compliments of the TCC.
- Deborah Pallasch Illegal signs for #2 all over at corner of Crandall and Bulgarmarsch
- Sherry Blanchette Raposa I have a sign for Budget #1 that I requested.
- Renee Cwiek We should take pictures of all the illegal #2 signs.
- Deborah Pallasch Also, Town Councilor Dave Nelson spotted on Main Rd. this morning ripping down "Save Tiverton, vote for #1" flyers
- Mary R Levesque Mosteiro Yes, a call to support #2 and card in the mail to support #1
- Karen Ann Rapoza Bodington My teenage son has received 2 postcards. Registered independent.
- Gloria Crist FOUR postcards from TCC( unsolicited-even though I requested the mailings to STOP after the FTR vote)- ROBO calls this morning-asking me to vote for budget #2-again, asked to not be included-and just now as I was pulling into the driveway from picking up my child-someone was climbing over our stone wall in an attempt to remove my VOTE FOR #1 sign- that I requested.....they ran off towards Four Corners......This is absolutely insane that members of the TCC are behaving this way-and spending SO MUCH money to destroy a town.
- Renee Cwiek Just received my second postcard from the TCC. Gloria....that's kind of scary. They're going on private property now? That's just awful.
- Gloria Crist If I had not had my daughter with me I would have taken to chase....
- Gloria Crist it just shows you how angry and negative the group is....and so not what we need as a town.