Five Things To Know Today: Aug 7
Everything you need to know to start your day in Tiverton and Little Compton.
Weather: Today it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 84. Clouds will roll in and temperatures will drop slightly as nigtht falls, according to the National Weather Service.
1. Insurance can be confusing. Seniors can get free help with health insurance, supplemental insurance, Medicare Advantage plans and oher medical or food assistance programs. You must call the center to make an appointment with Janet Holmes, who is at the Tiverton Senior Center every Tuesday morning. For more information, call 625-6790
2. Have you signed up for the Tiverton-Little Compton Patch newsletter yet? If you want to wake up to all things local, check it out.
3. Are you a political candidate in the upcoming election? Tiverton-Little Compton Patch is doing profiles of every candidate running for public office in the two towns. Contact Editor Erin Tiernan at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
4. Don't forget to cast your vote. The Readers Choice voting continues through Aug. 17. Don't miss the chance to show just how much there is to celebrate about our town: great family-friendly activities and great local businesses.
5. On this day in 1947, Kon-Tiki, a balsa wood raft captained by Norwegian anthropologist Thor Heyerdahl, completes a 4,300-mile, 101-day journey from Peru to Raroia in the Tuamotu Archipelago, near Tahiti. Heyerdahl wanted to prove his theory that prehistoric South Americans could have colonized the Polynesian islands by drifting on ocean currents.