5 Things: Schools In, Percussion and Fitness
Five things to know on Tuesday in Tiverton and Little Compton.
Weather: There wil be a chance of showers and thunderstorms all day and night today, according to the National Weather Service.
1. Today is the first day of the 2012-13 school year for both the Tiverton and Little Compton school districts.
2. Rhythm Quest Percussion meets today at 6 p.m. in Bristol. Rhythm Quest Percussion is a youth-based percussion ensemble open to those ages 11 - 18 yrs old who wish to learn, play and perform within the community. We are a non-profit organization.
3. Get fit with Tai Chi at ABC Studio at Four Corners Fitness today. Classes start at 9 a.m. and cost $15.
4. It's Senior Functional Fitness today with Debbie Gagnon. The class costs $2 and provides low impact, interval aerobic movement with dance. The class foceses on core muscle groups and cardiovascular fitness in a safe manner. Class starts at 11 a.m. at the Little Compton Community Center.
5. On this day in 1951, President Harry S. Truman's opening speech before a conference inSan Francisco is broadcast across the nation, marking the first time a television program was broadcast from coast to coast. The speech focused on Truman's acceptance of a treaty that officially ended America's post-World War II occupation of Japan.